Sunday, June 21, 2009

Only Three Call Him Daddy


When I met Jeff 14 1/2 years ago I had no thought process about what kind of father he would be one day. All I was really focusing on was whether he would like me enough to go out on second date or not. In fact I am not sure when I first thought about what kind of dad he would be.

Maybe it was when he was so delighted that he was going to be a daddy for the first time. After all it was accomplishing one of his three major goals in life- Be a husband, be a daddy and own a home with a white picket fence...still working on the white picket fence. Seriously, how did I get so blessed?

Maybe it was when he looked his messy, red faced, coneheaded, newborn son in the eye for the first time and grinned from ear to ear.

Maybe it was when he changed his first dirty diaper? Or maybe the hundreds of other times he changed them with little complaining. Okay there was a little complaining especially when we used cloth diapers.

Maybe it was when he did nothing but stare at his week old baby all through church on our first visit as a family of 3.

Maybe it was when he held a 6 month old baby and let him puke all over him without one complaint. Or countless other times when he changed bedding, clothes and blankets because one of them was sick.

Maybe it was when he assured me that everything was going to be okay as I watched my 9 mos old baby being wheeled in to surgery to get tubes put in. Or when he assured me the other 3 times that one of the kids was wheeled into surgery.

Maybe it was when he would rather play with the kids than almost anything.

Maybe it was when he laughed when one of the kids "tattooed" their forehead with green permanent marker right before our church picture.

Maybe it was when he walked the floors all night when one of the babies had their days and nights mixed up so I could sleep.

Maybe it was when he told our girls that they are the most beautiful girls in the world.

Maybe it was when he was all kinds of calm when Ainsley pulled the tip of her finger off at 10 mos. Which was a good thing since I was 42 kinds of upset.

Maybe it was when he was comforted me when I miscarried baby #2.

Maybe it was when he prayed with the kids before bed or shared the truths of God's word to them.

Maybe it was when he brought me flowers to celebrate that baby #3 was on the way. Truthfully I was in no mood to celebrate.

Maybe it was when he wasn't afraid to spend time with the kids so I could get away.

Maybe it was when he stayed in a job he wasn't crazy about or worked for a boss that he wasn't thrilled with so that we could be provided for.

Maybe it was when he got rid of his dog because he loved his kids more.

Or maybe it was in countless other ways. But now on his 10th Father's Day I know what kind of father he is and am so thankful that God blessed me and my kids with him.

Thank you Jeffy for being the kind of daddy that every child should have!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

What a great post! This almost made me cry... I love the picture of Jeff with the kids. They all look so happy and not posed.