What is it about a new year that makes us want to start over, to begin anew, to have a clean slate? There is something invigorating about getting a fresh start on areas that need some overhauling. And a new year seems like a perfect time to do it. Like most people though the "resolution" game only last for a week or so and then it's back to the same old thing. So instead of calling them resolutions I am calling them goals and trying to not make them so lofty that I fail before I ever begin. I am also writing them down here in a public forum so that I am held more accountable. I am hoping that I can accomplish my goals and keep them for an entire year.
On my list this year are to (1) take random pics of my kids just being normal kids each week and not waiting for the "big" events- I realized that I only seem to take pictures of them at the "expected" times and have quit taking pics just to take them. So I am going to take pictures each week just because. (2) I am going to train and complete several (at least 2) 5k's as well as a sprint triathalon this summer. I do better when I have a goal for exercising and will keep at it on the marginal days if I know there is an end goal. I ran my first 5k a year and a half ago and loved it so am going to train toward that end. The sprint triathalon is something I have wanted to do for a long time so am going to go for it this summer. (3) I am going to memorize 2 verses or passages each month for the entire year. I truly believe that God works through his word and if I don't know it, he can't work. Strongholds in our lives can only be brought down through the power of God's word and I have a few that need to come crashing down. We can only climb out of the pits we are in through God's word and I have a few of those that I need to get out of too. Do you see a pattern here? I need Jesus. I need his word to be written on my heart and mind with a bold sharpie marker. Permanently etched there. So am committing to the spiritual discipline of memorization.
Are you game? Want to join me with scripture memory? (or any of my goals for that matter.)
I would love for you to join me and am challenging my friends and family to memorize God's word this year. I want this to be a year of knowing God more and so am committing to memorizing/meditating 2 verses each month.
I am doing a couple things to make sure I keep with it clear to the end of 2009. To keep me accountable, I will post the verse I am memorizing on the 1st and 15th of the month. If you like you can post your verse in the comment section to keep you accountable as well. Feel free to memorize the verse I am memorizing or a different one.
To keep it before me, I am going to record mine in a spiral bound 3x5 notebook so that I can review it often. I may even keep one in the car since that seems to be my home away from home. I will also post one above my sink so that I can see it often.
Happy New Year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Well, I'm not going to join you in the memory verse goal, but here are my goals for the new year:
1) To resume regular personal devotions again, which have floundered since Elli was born. Regular is defined as at least 4 times a week. (If I can maintain this goal, THEN I will talk about memory verses.) :-)
2) To get back into shape. Defined as completing the Race for the Cure 5K, the Riverbank 5K, and at least a 10K this fall. Will be accomplished by exercising 4 times per week. (I've set up my schedule!)
3) Placing my family as a priority - controlling my schedule so that my family comes first. :-) This will be accomplished by ensuring that I don't schedule back-to-back days of activities away from home, as we discussed last night. :-)
Post a Comment