I just read some statistics on how memorizing stimulates a part of our brain that rarely gets used. It does it more than multi-tasking can ever do. Memorizing allows us to tap in to a deeper part of our brain. "That part of our brain requires tremendous focus on one thing for extended periods of time, pushing our thoughts a solitary direction that stretches and works it beyond its normal exercise."
So time for #7. I decided to take a break from Psalm 103. I will come back to it but need a break for now so am memorizing this one instead.
"Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing." 1 Peter 3:9 NIV
We have been talking about this with the kids a lot...and by a lot I mean daily. In fact I asked one of the girls yesterday (when she came telling me that I needed to speak to her brother about some infraction) to not repay evil with evil but to speak a blessing instead and she said, "I just can't do that! I can't give grace and I can't give blessing because if I do then the next time he will just be meaner!"
I was a little convicted myself wondering how often I can't give grace and can't give blessing to others because the next time they will just be meaner. This particular daughter and I struggle with the same need for justice. I think it is harder for us to give grace and blessing to others. We want justice and want the offenders to know where they were wrong so we can help them get it right the next time.
So I am challenging myself that during the next two weeks while I am committing this verse to memory that I am also going to work on blessing others. I am pretty sure God is going to give me lots of opportunities after all I do have 4 people that I live in close proximity with that need grace and blessing.
But then don't we all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment