Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fools Day

I am not much for practical jokes. Actually I love hearing about a good practical joke but when it comes to thinking of them or playing them on others, I am not very good at them. I am always quite a disappointment for my kids.

For the last week the kids have been discussing their plans for April Fools. Some of it was funny, some of it was not and some of it was just downright awful. So I decided that this year I would pull a prank on them. I filled glasses with jello made to look like juice this afternoon and served it at dinner tonight complete with straws. The kids were all delighted to have such a treat for dinner. We usually only have water or milk for dinner so to have juice was a real delight. Imagine their surprise when they couldn't get anything out of their straws! Imagine my joy (and I am talking about deep down abiding joy) when I realized that I had pulled off a practical joke!

Ainsley was not amused at all! She felt lied to and betrayed and informed us that she does not like having jokes played on her at all!

Olivia took her cue from Ainsley. At first she kind of laughed but then got a little indignant.

Jackson thought it was hilarious. He actually clued in before he tried to take a drink. I saw his eye twinkle as he told Ainsley to take a drink. The turkey had read my Family Fun Magazine and so knew the trick already. Who taught him to read anyway? He told me I shouldn't have left it in the bathroom for everyone to read. So next year I will have to hide my sources.

4 comments:

Julie said...

I will have to remember that for next year!!

Anonymous said...

Love it! I am going to do that next year....if I can remember :)

Stacey

Carrie said...

Cute! It least Jackson has the smarts to play along with you and allow the girls to enjoy (or not enjoy?!) a prank.

Janelle said...

Well done! It's funny to see how each child's personality is embodied in their response. :-)