Saturday, August 30, 2008

Buffet Night...gone wrong

I was laying in bed one night reading before I went to sleep when I heard the craziest noise outside. As I peered out the window I could see the outline of a racoon lifting the lid of our garbage can. A little funny considering that we live in a pretty populated area and don't see a lot of wildlife around our home. (Minus the snake we have living under our back porch.)

Anyway, I hooked the lid of the garbage can closed and scared him off and went back to bed. A few minutes later we could more noise and discovered several pacing on our front porch. We chased them off and went back to bed.

I was almost asleep when I heard the most awful noise. It took me a minute to realize that it was outside and not inside and that it was critters and not a person making the noise. It only took a few seconds to realize the sound was coming from inside the now locked garbage can. And that the posse of racoons pacing in front of the garbage can were trying to free the now trapped racoon.

After much hilarious wrangling we got the lid of the garbage open and discovered this little, very scared coon. His posse had now moved to the tree and were pacing up and down the tree watching us. We tipped the garbage over and then moved back while he scampered out. it was only a few minutes until the whole gang made it's way out of the tree and across our yard the the neighbor's yard.

Evidently buffet night had gone horribly wrong.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

That is hilarious! And, I must admit, that you are braver than I. I would have sent Chris out there with a big stick and stayed inside. You even thought about taking pictures! You are good :)

Heather V said...

Lest you think I was totally brave by myself...I did send Jeff out with the broom stick while I hid out on the porch and behind the front door taking pictures!!